Monday, June 2, 2008

New Project!

I've been collecting ocean related fabric since I started teaching the class two years ago. I've never taken the time to do anything with it until today. I had my first official day of summer vacation, and one of two that will happen without the kids. So what could I do but celebrate by spending some quality time with my sewing machine?
I have been wanting to try out Tonya's free-form letters for a while, so I spelled out the scientific name for star fish and paired it with this sea urchin fabric that I bought on ebay. I think the sashing may be too wide, but I'm pretty happy with the letters considering this was my first try at wonky anything ever. I had trouble with the angled letters, but the straight ones were pretty straight forward.

I still have whales and sharks in the series and I saw some adorable sea turtles at Hancock's of Paducah online last night. So I see whales, sharks and turtles quilts in my future. I think these would be adorable hanging in my classroom at school. Too bad I'm not teaching marine science next year. I'll have to start thinking about what I can do do forensic science.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I'm not a lover of "wonky" and "free-form" anything, so I'm glad I'm a math teacher :0) I can use so many geometical and symmetrical patterns and use them in my math class.

BUT.....the project looks super! A whole day....started and completed! Woo-hooooo. We have to try to remember to NOT "rub it in" too loud to our Quiltville chatters how nice the summer vacation can be because that won't help the "icky" reputation teachers already have because we all have "three months off in the summer." Suuuurrrreeee..........
Anyway, that debate and dilemma can wait for some other post :0)
Happy sewing!

Tonya Ricucci said...

what a fun quilt. you did great with those letters - I love your R in particular. the more practise you get making them, the easier they get...